Josh S. Cutler is State Representative for the Sixth Plymouth District, comprised of Pembroke, Duxbury (precincts 2-6) and Hanson. He currently serves as Chairman of the Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development. He is also House Chair of the Coastal Caucus.
Prior to his election, Josh worked as a newspaper editor and publisher for his third-generation family business. He graduated from Skidmore College with a B.A. in political science and put himself through law school at night at Suffolk University Law School. More recently he completed his Master’s Degree in Public Policy (Environmental Policy concentration) from UMass-Dartmouth.
Josh served as an elected member of the Duxbury Planning Board and the Hull Board of Selectmen. He is a member of Board of Directors of the Duxbury Free Library, Inc., and the Hanson Kiwanis Foundation, and a former Board member of the Pembroke Chamber of Commerce. He also served on the Duxbury War Memorial Committee and the Duxbury Alternative Energy Committee.
Josh is the author of Mobtown Massacre: Alexander Hanson and the Baltimore Newspaper War of 1812, published by History Press in 2019, and has also been published in the New England Journal of History. He is a member of the National Writers Union, UAW Local 1981.
Josh’s family has deep South Shore roots. His mother, Suzanne, a Pembroke resident, is a former head of South Shore NOW and development director for the National Consumer Law Center. His step-mother, Catherine, is the reverend at First Parish Church in Duxbury. His late father, David, was the founder of Mariner Newspapers and a passionate advocate of veteran’s and conservation issues. The David S. Cutler Forest was dedicated in his memory by Duxbury voters in 2010.
Rep. Cutler Honors & Distinctions
- Legislator of the Year, Massachusetts Developmental Disabilities Council, 2021
- Legislator of the Year, Association of Developmental Disabilities Providers, 2020
- Legislator of the Year, Plymouth/Bristol Central Labor Council. 2019
- Legislator of the Year, The ARC of Greater Plymouth County, 2018
- Legislative Advocacy Award, Mass. Nurses Association, 2015
- Fellow, Council of State Governments, Robert J. Thompson Eastern Leadership Academy, 2013
- President, Mass. House of Representatives, Legislative Class of 2013-14.
- Top 40 Under 40 Young Business Leaders, Plymouth & Cape Business Magazine, 2009
- Golden Dozen Award, International Society of Weekly Newspaper Editors, 2009.